Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Afraid of Fearing Fear?


"It is wonderful that life continues to challenge and define us, great that there is always more to strive for and assuring that we will always grow from these experiences so the future will be better still."
-Deena Kastor

Bobby and I had a conversation last night surrounding the idea of living in fear and using fear to drive us to do or not do certain things. Then, I get to work and found an email from a good friend regarding the same idea.

"FEAR:  It can be the feeling that protects us or it can be the feeling that cripples us. 


When all of the kids are lined up on the cliff and they are jumping and diving into the river below, it is the acknowledgement of the fear of the fall and injury that convinces you to step away from the ledge.  Fear of an accident and the possible results of such an event, help to remind us to drive safely.  Fear of a ticket from a police officer does the same.  Fear of an opponent in an athletic event, usually cripples your performance.  It is difficult to compete confidently when you are battling fear and failure in your heart and mind.


Once Cheryl and I had a prowler sneaking around the house.  We could hear him outside the windows and I snuck out to confront him.  I remember being in the dark, with my robe on (or Cheryl’s), and holding my weapon of choice, an iron.  Once I snuck out the front door and made my way around the corner into the darkness, I remember my heart racing so fast and my body beginning to lock up.  I could hear the burglar just around the corner, and I couldn’t move.  The fear of the possible confrontation was locking me up.  My confidence was dropping quickly.  I had all kinds of crazy thoughts racing through my head.  I had to recollect myself, get myself back into battle mode, and make the move to protect my family.  I finally mustered up the courage and chased the guy out of the yard.  He cleared the fence a little faster than me in my very tough looking pink robe (I did grab Cheryl’s). 


Fear can cripple us in athletics and at work in our careers as well.  What does the Bible have to say about dealing with this fear and particularly mastering our feelings when preparing to head into battle.  In Deuteronomy chapter 20 we read:  “When you go out to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots of an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God is with you, …let not your heart panic or be in dread…
We each need to find a method of handling fear when we face tough situations.  If you are being challenged with a tough project at work or school and fear failure, remember God’s words and promise.  He is with you.  Athletics are a great place for us to practice our ability to handle fear and doubt.  It is common when facing great challenges in athletics to doubt and to allow fear to cripple you. 


God, help us to remember that you are with us when we have fear.  Remind us that you never leave us.  That you know us by name and are prepared to carry us when we are weak.  Allow the feeling of fear to protect me when needed; and allow me to tackle those feelings when they are not meant to protect, but it is simply the enemy attempting to cripple me.  Thank you for being with me and carrying me to victory.  Give me the confidence of a warrior in Jesus’ army.  Help me to practice this faith and trust in you while I work today, while I practice today, in my studies, and in my athletic challenges.  It is rather simple I am very powerful with you, and somewhat weak and crippled without you.  Walk with me victoriously into battle today.  Amen
Let God help you in your next interview, dance performance, big presentation, meeting with that difficult client, national championship, etc.  He can release you and help you to perform to your best ability.  In those old biblical stories, he helped many warriors tackle opponents (many times superior) victoriously.  In the face of fear, stress, mental struggles, pain, and suffering, call on your creator to assist. "

1.) I am training for a marathon.
2.) Three years ago I broke my ankle and to this day I still suffer discomfort.
3.) Two years ago I attempted a half marathon and got up to 11 miles in my training and 2 weeks from the race when my right knee decided to disagree with my plans.
4.) This time last year I was diagnosed with Ventricular Tachycardia (arrhythmia) and my medication makes me sometimes feel sluggish.
5.) I am overweight (obese according to that stupid BMI chart)

I'm afraid I won't have it in me to complete this training and the marathon in the way I feel I can, largely due to the last 4 items I listed. I am afraid to express any excitement regarding this race to anyone, even my husband, because I don't want to end up failing. In my mind, if I don't let anyone know I'm doing this then I won't look like a failure when I don't finish. When it comes to this goal I have set before me, I live in FEAR and when I'm reminded to let God in to this, another 'problem' occurs. I cannot justify asking for God's help when I don't see how the time and energy that goes into this can glorify Him. I asked for guidance with this in my bible study prayer card last night. 'How can I glorify God in this?' I don't want to simply throw on a shirt that spouts Christianese Bible verses or mark my calves with John 3:16 the day of the race. I do know that when I am out and about alone, it is good God time for me...but is this enough? I suppose I'm going to find out! I will start with Scott's suggestion above and make sure I let God in on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment