Tuesday, April 5, 2011

life, aches, and a dog



I had posted a few days ago a list of reasons to run in the morning. One big reason is because life happens. Apparently, it happens less in the morning...or, maybe there's not enough time for life to happen at that time of day. Maybe life sleeps in.... That is why one should run in the morning. Life hasn't started yet and/or it hasn't had time to wake up to take up the rest of your day. I have come to the conclusion that mornings are amazing. They are quiet and remain uncluttered. Life on the other hand, is NOT always my friend. It is the stealer of time and sanity. But I admit, even with its faults, Life is amazing.

Sunday morning, I found that I had "nothing to do" until 2:30 pm except watch a flag-football game at 9. So instead of getting my run in before the game, I thought I'd go afterwards when it was a bit warmer and then...life happened. Just like the experts said it would. Dang. So I thought then I'd make it up after church...then life happened again. Dang. Life won and Sunday Runday was temporarily postponed.

Monday's outcome was somewhat the same. The only difference is that I only had a 30 minute swim to do. But because of yesterday's lameness and desire for sleeping in, I thought I should make up my run, too...

I did nothing.

And it was great!

So this morning I was truly excited for my run. I had 2 miles to do and that was it. Venturing out earlier than normal at 5:30 am, I was welcomed by the crisp morning air after a night of drizzling rain. I do have to mention that Bobby (almost) surprised me by entertaining the thought of running with me. He said, "What would you do if I decided I wanted to go?" I said I'd be shocked, happy, excited etc... so imagine my enthusiasm when he got up at the same time as me...I thought he'd be dressing to run but when I turned around, I saw his bare bum hoping in the shower! "So, you're NOT going, then?" I playfully asked. My insides knew better...but pieces of me still held out hope.

This brings me to the fellow I witnessed running along the Monroe Street Bridge this morning. This man was of 'normal' height but I noticed that he was really, really skinny. I found this interesting because of the breed of dog he had with him...a greyhound. This reminded me of all the photos I've seen before that match dog to owner according to their looks...these two were a perfect match! And I was reminded how much I wanted my perfect match (a dog, people). Dogs don't care about the early mornings. Dogs don't care about the mileage you need to do that day. Dogs are mostly more excited than we'll ever be to run and dogs never say no....sigh. Someday....

No comments:

Post a Comment