Monday, April 18, 2011

Vacation is horrible...

for your running schedule.

This is a lesson I learned this weekend.
Bobby and I got the chance to get away to Lincoln City with Jon and Tara for the weekend. I thought I had done all my homework...I gave myself the 'ok' ahead of time to not run on Saturday so I could enjoy the entire day of relaxation and adventure, I had intended to map out a run and, while out and about on Saturday I had spied a good paved trail along the beach. I did make sure I packed my shoes, glasses, visor, Road ID and various layers for my Sunday Runday... the one that didn't happen. Now, I had every intention for it to happen but all four of us slept in and before I knew it, we were all up and in the car heading home. It had crossed my mind that I should dress for a run and then have Jon pull over to let me out on the road and wait for me 1 mile later. I thought this would be a fun/funny way to get it all in...but that gave way to the guilt I'd feel for making them wait for me. So I succomed to the inevitable and sat for 10 hours all the while downing yummy treat after yummy, rich, chocolatey, sometimes salty and waaaay bad for me treat. And I liked it.

I made up the run today though. And I must say that I usually take my time and assume the pace of a ____________ (fill in the blank with anything that is of the slower kind) but today I was competing with the forces of nature. Sun, snow, wind, sun, snow, sun, snow... I found myself carefully planning my entry into the weather like a kid in a double-dutch match. Feeling the rhythms and judging the speed of the looming clouds... I failed. The first half of the run was sunny and lacking in the breeze-ness...but once I turned around, I literally faced my impending doom in the form of a really creepy looking cumulus cloud. On the plus side, the knowledge that I'd be plastered with whatever that cloud contained caused a shift into high gear. I ended up finishing 2 minutes faster than I had anticipated...but for 10 or so minutes, I still suffered the wrath of our random snow clouds.

Today was a good make-up day. My legs feel worked and nothing hurts. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment