Friday, February 25, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside!

Throughout this winter I've had the pleasure of witnessing dedication in the form of a South Hill runner. I see him nearly every morning around 7:30 running either up or down High Drive. Because I've biked that hill a few times to and from work, I know that it cannot be "fun" to run. I've always wondered what he was running for? Was he training for something specific or was he just a super-duper insane runner? And then I wondered if it would be weird if I slowed down enough to ask him one morning commute?

Early on he didn't have what I would consider the proper attire for his early morning winter runs...which means dark, cold, and potentially dangerous conditions. Around Christmas time however, I noticed him donning a nice reflective jacket though mostly black with dashes of neon yellow here and there. I silently congratulated him a "good job, dude!" and went on my way assuming a concerned girlfriend or family member bought it for him for Christmas.

This morning was something different. I saw, off in the distance, legs...and only legs. Guess what happens when fresh snow has fallen and you've chosen to wear a white long-sleeved top? You look something like paranormal activity; a man invisible from the waist up. I had just started ranting in my head about his lack of visibility and how I'd hate to see him offed by some careless morning 'I'm-not-fully-awake-til-I've-had-my-coffee' driver when I realized he was running in an odd fashion. Where were his hands?! Tucked nicely under his armpits, of course. Why? Because it was anywhere from 0 to 2 degrees out this morning and my dedicated runner was running with no jacket, hat OR gloves. Hey-just because a person is dedicated, doesn't mean they'll be making the best of choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment