Tuesday, June 14, 2011

God would want a front porch



Last night I had a chance to walk the West Central neighborhood with about 20 folks and kiddos from the Porch, Branches and New Community (local churches). Together we answered questions and reflected on the lifestyle, stereotypes and vision for the area. It is common knowledge that West Central is the poorest neighborhood in the city...in fact, last I heard, the stats were that it was the poorest in the state! But as I walked, I paid particular attention to one thing (of many) that was strikingly different than many upper-class neighborhoods...the presence (and the actual use of) a front porch.

One of the children that attended the walk last night was asked by his dad what they thought was different from what they see in their neighborhoods. His response was, "The houses are rusty and they have couches on the front porch...Why are there couches on the front porch?" I grinned because I had an idea....but his dad didn't quite grasp it. Saying something similar to the idea that couches were supposed to be indoors.

My involvement at the Porch constantly makes me wonder what it is I am to be learning. Why do I attend a church in one of the toughest, poorest neighborhoods in the state? Why do I feel more at home when I'm there than when I'm with friends and family located in more socially acceptable and visually appealing 'hoods? Where the primary concern is where the next meal is coming from or how the heck a single mother will get her laundry done when it takes 2 bus rides to get to the nearest laundry mat? I'll tell you one thing that I am learning and absolutely loving: Community. Walking those streets, I saw community. People, regardless of their race, religion, social or economic status, are together...and many of them on their porches.

What is important? To me? To us? To God?
For me, I think it's the front porch and I have a feeling God likes the idea too.


No comments:

Post a Comment