Thursday, August 25, 2011

postcards

It was the summer of 2000. I was on my way to YoungLife's week long camp called Malibu. Though I had heard many stories regarding what I would anticipate during the week, the resounding phrase was, "It will be the best week of your life." Lo and behold, 11 years and a marriage later, it's still been ''the best week of my life'' (sorry, Bobby).

Let me explain. This week away wasn't just an experience. It was life changing! I grew closer with a few gals from my school, I was loved on by Cheryl, Molly and Tria (our leaders), I experienced adrenaline pumping adventures like never before and most importantly, I found Jesus. I don't mean "I found Jesus" as though he was hiding in the bushes somewhere...but what I mean is, I was stripped away from all that was distracting and planted right in the middle of one of the most gorgeous places on this planet. Here, I not only saw the beauty that is God all around me, but I felt it from my leaders, friends, and even the camp work crew and staff who didn't even know me but worked tirelessly so that I would "have the best week of my life". "Who is this God that is such awesomeness?" I was amazed, encouraged, and ultimately completely enveloped in and by the love that was shown to me that I could no longer deny this God. I wanted that relationship that I was being told about. I wanted that 'something more' that would fulfill the longings and desires of my heart. I wanted to know God.

So I left camp on what's called a 'camp high'. I felt on top of the world even though I had been warned that the real world may come crashing back at me...and it did. But not before I had the opportunity to solidify relationships with my leaders and the friends who came along and who ultimately would serve as my mentors and who took great pride in discipleship.

On the bus ride home, I remember filling out a post card to an anonymous donor. Those who gave money to make "the best week of my life" possible. I don't remember what I wrote but I'm sure it said something to the effect of finding Jesus and 'thank you' for 'the best week of my life'.

I went on to lead high schoolers through the same experience, adrenaline pumping craziness and post card writing for the next 10 years. It was during this time that my faith grew the most. Contrary to popular belief, teens are awesome and no matter how punkish they can be, there's so much to them and so much that they go through that I feel they've blessed me more than I ever could them during our time together. I've watched some from middle school all the way through college and on to marriage and building a God centered family. I've watched some follow their calling and dive right into the missions field and I've watched some follow in our footsteps and become YL leaders themselves. What joy!

Then last year, I decided to take an unknown amount of time off from leading. The biggest reason is my marriage. I didn't know how I was going to work full time and lead YL and still have enough quality time left in my day for my new husband. Initially, I thought I'd only take one year off, but now, with September right around the corner, I don't feel God telling me that YL is where I need to put my energy right now. That said, I made sure I wasn't too far from my fellow Younglifers by opting to give part of my monthly tithe to them and to participate in as many functions and fundraisers as I can. This summer, like every summer, donors received a post card. I was sent a postcard. It was from a girl I know from Medical Lake who had ''the best week of her life'' at Malibu. Because of my giving to the very organization that changed my life years ago, I have been given the best gift...this post card. It's almost as though I was given the post card I had written so long ago.


I went from camper to leader to financial giver and I'm stoked to be able to say that I've been involved with YL in such ways that I've written, enabled others to write, and ultimately received  that meaningful post card.

What went around, came around.
Thank You, God.


No comments:

Post a Comment