Wednesday, October 5, 2011

T Minus 3

T-minus 3 days before the marathon...so I thought I'd give anyone who's been following for whatever reason an update. Or, for my own benefit, so that I can remind myself of all the times I wanted to do something that would take a good bit of commitment only to result in utter distaste.

My first example should have been when I did the Seattle to Portland bike ride. I literally hated my bike for a good three months afterward and to this day, I find myself giving that thing the cold shoulder. I'm talking a good 3 years of frustration!

So here I am, less than a week away with my longest run being 4 miles and my shortest, 2. I don't want to do them. My mind gives a ho-hum "why bother" kind of thought and, combined with the recent turn of the weather, presto! I'm reaching for a good book instead. Frustrated about an aggravated IT band and gnarly blisters on my toes, I found myself studying the YMCA class schedule because I'm excited to do just about anything other than running. But for so long I wanted to consider myself to be a runner and now...well...I think I'm over it. I hope it's a temporary thing though... I do want to keep doing some good, long events but definitely nothing like a full marathon. The 5-8 mile distance seems to suit me great so maybe I'll consider myself a runner who is o.k. NOT going the distance. hehe.

So, note to self:

SELF, IF IT TAKES 6+ MONTHS TO PREP FOR, YOU'LL HATE IT BY THE TIME YOU CONQUER IT.

Wonder if this note will stick.






No comments:

Post a Comment